Friday, September 9, 2011

Design Development: Moving Space

I watched Anna Pavlova several times last week and asked myself - how can I translate movement into architecture?  Is it the hands, feet, space, sweeping material? Drawing a blank,  I began looking at how I draw.  When I begin a picture, it is the outcome of something that stirs me emotionally; for instance, after reading the Tennyson's Lady of Shallot, I was inspired to draw the last stanza where she floats down stream to Camelot.  In regards to drawing, I first see an entire composition on the blank page.  After recounting past experience, I realized I had already created the composition - it was my first attempt - those undulating angles, bends like joints in an arm, reaching, drawing back, exploring.  What I accounted for as windows to views along the Escatawpa River was in actuality  - movement.    I began considering how to build upon the form what I had created earlier.

In regards to my site plan, though I really liked my latest site plan, compositionally balanced and accounting for almost everything in my original program -  movement spaces, tide pools, etc.  I realized it moved away from the natural setting.  It was more like a resort with pools, spa, tanning deck!  This was not my original intent.  Building upon my original form and taking parts of my latest site plan, I began creating a landscape that swirled around itself which was also the point in which, I would sit in my chair on the beach and watch my family run around me.  It seems like it is all coming together!


1 comment:

  1. Angie!

    AGREED, it is coming together! Very exciting development and very beautiful site plan. Is it time to talk about next steps? Do you want to work more and develop? Let us know when you want to talk!

    We still want you to make the connections to the blog posts that Mike mentioned in his email to you. Do you need help with this? Let us know...

    Denise

    ReplyDelete